Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Contest - Sublime Stitching

My design is finished and completely stitched now just to get it sent off to be judged. I ended up using pieces of four designs by Sublime plus some details added by me to tie it all together. I used some hand distressed fabric around the edges to frame it a bit but I haven't decided what to do with it as a finished item. It always frustrates me when I get a bit of gathering in the fabric where there is heavier stitching. I have tried numerous methods of stabilizer but in general whenever I use a lighter fabric as my base(which makes for easier stitching in general)there is always some puckering. And my obsessive gene rears its ugly head.

5 comments:

  1. Nice handwork. Visited your website. Good for you in doing your own business. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try some stabilizers meant for machine embroidery. Some of them are quite sturdy. Of course, you'd have to test them to make sure you can sew through them by hand. I just tend to embroider with a light hand in dense areas and I've never had a problem and I don't even like to use a hoop! Maybe start by creating each stitch with he tension you'd usually use then loosen it slightly with the tip of your needle until you get the tension perfect. Try not to overstretch your fabric when hooping. If you over stretch, then the fabric relaxes after you release it, the stitching will pucker.

    I've in tied you to Canadian Swappers with Hearts. I hope you will join me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually used a stabilizer on this piece. I find that is when I more often have problems but perhaps it is because I may be overstretching the fabric when using a hoop. I prefer to stitch without a hoop but every once in a while I give into convention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful handwork and I love the design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sublime Stitching always has the most lovely sketches. It is great how you combined them!

    ReplyDelete